Argonaut Book Shop Archives - inBiblio
last 7 days
last 30 days

Argonaut Book Shop

placeholder

The Exploration of the Colorado River in 1869. [With]: The Exploration of the Colorado River and the High Plateaus of Utah by the Second Powell Expedition of 1871-72.

Powell, John Wesley Volumes XV and XVI; XVII of the Utah Historical Quarterly. First edition, thus. 2 volumes (1947; 1948-49). Introduction by Dale Morgan. Pp. xiii, [1], 269 + [8], 540. 20 photographic plates and portraits, 7 maps (mostly folding). Notes, indexes. Maroon cloth, gilt. Owner’s name on free endpaper of second part. A very fine set. Volume XV presents hitherto unknown and unpublished journals of the first and second Powell exploring expeditions down the Green and Colorado rivers, including the journals of George Y. Bradley, John C. Sumner, and Major J. W. Powell (1869) and the journal of Francis M. Bishop (1870-72); with these are included an account of early Colorado river exploration, biographical sketches of Major Powell’s men, and contemporary newspaper accounts of their activities. Volumes XVI and XVII (bound together) continue the journals of the Powell expeditions. "This volume looks to the larger significance and fruits of this work and exploration and discovery, for the second expedition was what the first not, a carefully constituted and admirably equipped scientific organization" (Morgan). Included are the journals of Stephen Vandiver Jones, John F. Steward, and Walter Clement Powell, edited respectively by Dr. Herbert E. Gregory, William Culp Darrah, and Charles Kelly. Also included is W. C. Powell’s account of the Hopi Towns; and biographical sketches of Powell’s men (Beaman, Fennemore, Hillers, Dellenbaugh, Johnson, and Hattan) by William Culp Darrah.
placeholder

After Coronado. Spanish Exploration Northeast of New Mexico, 1696-1727. Documents from the Archives of Spain, Mexico and New Mexico.

Thomas, Alfred Barnaby [Translator and Editor] First edition. Presentation inscription, signed by the author and dated the year of publication. Pp. xii, [2], 307, [1]. Folding map. Extensive notes, bibliography, index. Brown cloth, gilt. A very fine and bright copy with the elusive pictorial dust jacket (light chipping to spine ends, two minor closed tears to lower edge, front hinge of jacket with almost four-inch split repaired with archival tape, plastic protector). University of Oklahoma gift card laid in. This is an early publication from the Press and is very scarce, especially with the pictorial dust jacket. Covers the Spanish exploration and colonization of the Trans-Mississippi region. The work traces, between 1541 and 1727, the significant advance of the Spanish pioneer into the West. The author utilized hitherto unpublished diaries, proceedings of councils of war and judicial investigations, viceregal correspondence, church records and governors’ reports. It depicts the arrival of the Comanche Indians in the Southwest, the early divisions of these people and of the Apaches, and their sanguinary tribal wars (jacket). Includes a narrative of Pueblos and Spaniards terrorized by the Comanches, the ensuing punitive expeditions commanded by New Mexico governors, and much more.
placeholder

Report Upon the Removal of Blossom Rock, in San Francisco Harbor, California

Williamson, R. S. and W. H. Heuer First edition. Quarto. 11½ x 9 inches. 40pp. plus 11 plates (one folding, one in color). Lithographic title page with vignette. Contemporary three-quarter morocco, marbled sides, gilt-lettered spine. Rebacked with original spine laid down. Spine and corners rubbed or scuffed; small and very faint rubberstamps of the U.S. Museum of Natural History, Central Park, New York on blank verso of plates; Elliot Memorial bookplate on inner cover. A very good copy, internally complete and clean. The complete official report, with precise engineering drawings, of the removal of this major obstacle. Blossom rock was a huge chunk of sandstone, located just five feet below the surface of the Bay between Alcatraz and Yerba Buena Islands and was a considerable peril to shipping. The rock was discovered and named by Captain Beechey in 1826. The plates are beautifully drawn, quite detailed and include a folding map of the entrance to San Francisco Bay showing the position of Blossom Rock, various depths throughout the bay, etc. (from a Coast Survey Chart of 1859). Another map (colored) is "Map showing the Depth of Water on Blossom Rock as established by Survey of April 1871." Also included are numerous detailed engineering drawings, plans and sketches for the destruction of the rock, placement of the black-powder charges, etc. [Cowan: p.688; Rocq: 12846].
placeholder

The Yellow Book. An Illustrated Quarterly. [13 Volumes, complete]

13 volumes (1894-1897), complete. First editions, mixed issues. Volumes 3-12 are apparent first issues with rear ads; volumes 1, 2, and 13 are apparent second issues, without ads. Octavo. Illustrated throughout. Publisher’s yellow pictorial cloth with cover designs by Aubrey Beardsley and others stamped in black, top edges untrimmed. Some volumes bear an engraved bookplate signed in pencil by the designer. Some spines with light soiling, some covers lightly soiled. A few corners slightly curled. Overall, a very nice, complete set. Quite scarce as a complete set. This famous, epochal, and notorious periodical includes work by all the great figures of the 1890’s including Beerbohm, Aubrey Beardsley, Henry James, Yeats, Gissing, Kenneth Grahame, Ernest Dowson, Lionel Johnson, Baron Corvo, H. G. Wells, and many others. Beardsley’s illustrations are well-represented. The Yellow Book is the most prominent expression of the ideas of the Romantic Revivalists. It contains some of the most characteristic work of Aubrey Beardsley, from whose name it is inseparable. Many of the contributions represent first editions of the early writings of men whose names have since become famous. It was in his capacity as art-editor of The Yellow Book that Beardsley made his first claim to public notice. The earlier volumes contain many designs from his pencil, in addition to others of the best known black-and-white artists of the day.
placeholder

The Children’s Friend

Wilson, Rev. W. Carus Sixteen volumes (1824-1839). First edition. Very rare! 24mo (5×2¾ inches). Approximately 275pp. per volume. Each volume illustrated with wood engravings. Half green morocco, marbled sides. Some volumes with wear to spine ends. A very good set, complete. The Children’s Friend was a British journal for children, in monthly parts, first published in 1824. It was founded by the Rev. William Carus Wilson (1791-1859). Wilson if perhaps best known for being portrayed negatively as Mr. Brocklehurst in Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre. Offered here are the first sixteen volumes of this journal which promoted a "grim morality," and encouraging in its young audience the reading of the Bible, evangelism and charitable works. The Children’s Friend was published in two series, from 1824 to 1860 and then in a larger format from 1861 to 1930. Each of the volumes is illustrated with woodcut head and tail pieces as well as full-page plates. The magazine was patronized by the Princess of Wales. Wilson founded the Clergy Daughters’ school, which the Brontë sisters attended in 1824, at Cowan Bridge near Kirkby Lonsdale. Charlotte Bronte took literary revenge, perhaps unjustly, by putting him in Jane Eyre as Mr. Brocklehurst. This set is extremely scarce. Only a handful of the early volumes are listed with OCLC, Trinity College in Dublin having the most (eleven of the sixteen volumes). No one has all sixteen volumes. Also, there are absolutely no volumes having sold at auction and only one or two of the volumes are currently offered on line. [The Osborne Collection of Early Children’s Books, 1566-1910: p.400 (incomplete run; not listed in Percy Muir’s English Children’s Book, 1600 to 1900)].
placeholder

The Interest Of these United Provinces. Being a Defence of the Zeelanders Choice. Wherein is shewne, I. That we ought unanimously to defend our selves. II. That if we cannot, it is better to be under England than France, in regard of Religion, Liberty.

Hill, Joseph (1625-1707) First edition of the English translation, preceded by a Dutch edition printed at Amsterdam the same year. Octavo. 20.5×15 cm. Pp. [ff. 60]. A few woodcut initials, printer’s woodcut device on title. Later plain gray wrappers. Circular stain to front wrapper. Leaves lightly toned, lower corner of first 15 leaves curled. A very good copy. The Third Anglo-Dutch War was a military conflict between England and the Dutch Republic, that lasted between April 1672 and early 1674. It was part of the larger Franco-Dutch War. Finally, the Parliament of England, fearful that the alliance wth France was part of a plot to make England Roman Catholic, forced the king to abandon the costly and fruitless war. Hill was at the time pastor of the Scottish church at Middleburg, Zeeland, and was paid a stipend by the Provincial States. On publication of the present work, in which he advocates the English alliance, and vindicates Charles II from suspicion of popery, he was ordered to leave Zeeland, with permission to return at the close of the war. Charles rewarded him for his pamphlet with a sinecure of eighty pounds a year and the offer of a bishopric, which Hill declined. He returned to Holland in 1678 and became minister of the English Presbyterian church at Haringvliet, Rotterdam. [Wing: H-2000]. Full title: The Interest Of these United Provinces. Being a Defence of the Zeelanders Choice. Wherein is shewne, I. That we ought unanimously to defend our selves. II. That if we cannot, it is better to be under England than France, in regard of Religion, Liberty, Estates, and Trade. III. That we are not yet come to that extremity, but we may remaine a Republick. And that our Compliance with England is the onely meanes for this. Together with Severall Remarkes upon the present, and Conjectujres on the future state of Affaires in Europe, especially as relating to this Republick.
The Bloody Assizes: Or

The Bloody Assizes: Or, A Compleat History of the Life of George Lord Jefferies, from His Birth to this Present Time. Wherein, Among other things, is given a true Account of his unheard of Cruelties, and Barbarous Proceedings, in his whole Western Circuit

First edition. Very scarce. Octavo. 19×15 cm. Pp. 70, [1, advert.]. Collated complete. Early 20th century full calf, black leather spine label, marbled endpapers. Later engraved bookplate. Contemporary owner’s name at head of title page. Later owner’s embossed stamp to blank flyleaf. Title page toned, minor rubbing to spine ends and corners, slight wear to front joint at head of spine, label a bit chipped. A fine copy. Attributed to James Bent (most likely a pseudonym of John Dunton). Titus Oates was also considered a contributor to this work. Pp. 5-8 contain A Poem to the Memory of George Lord Jefferies by John Carter. George Jeffreys, 1st Baron Jeffreys of Wem (1645-1689) was known as the "Hanging Judge." He became notable during the reign of King James II, rising to the position of Lord Chancellor after the Monmouth Rebellion. His conduct as a judge was to enforce royal policy, resulting in an historical reputation for severity and bias. Earlier, during the "Popish Plot," he was frequently on the bench which condemned numerous innocent men on the perjured evidence of Titus Oates. These condemnations were remembered against him in 1685 when he secured the conviction of Oates for his perjury at the same trials. This trial was Jeffreys’ first major trial under the reign of James II. Jeffreys’ historical notoriety comes from his actions in 1685, after Monmouth’s Rebellion. Jeffreys was sent to the West Country in the autumn of 1685 to conduct the trials of captured rebels. Hundreds were executed. Jeffreys remained a Protestant, despite his loyalty to James II, the last Roman Catholic to reign over the British kingdom. During the Glorious Revolution (1688) when James II fled the country, under siege by his son-in-law William of Orange, Jeffreys stayed in London until the last moment, the only legal authority in James’ abandoned kingdom to perform political duties. Jeffreys was eventually captured by William’s troops and was dragged to prison "for his own safety" as he was terrified of the public who intended "to show him that same mercy he had ever shown to others." He died of kidney disease while in custody in the Tower of London on April 18, 1689, the year this book was published. Full title: The Bloody Assizes: Or, A Compleat History of the Life of George Lord Jefferies, from His Birth to this Present Time. Wherein, Among other things, is given a true Account of his unheard of Cruelties, and Barbarous Proceedings, in his whole Western Circuit. Comprehending The whole Proceedings; Arraignment, Tryals, and Condemnation of all those who Suffer’d in the West of England, in the Year 1685. To Which is added. the Dying Speeches and Prayers of many other Eminent Protestants.
placeholder